Do you one of those who are good in language, likes sitting jobs, likes to work at their own space and looking for a job which gives you the freedom to work independently?
Then you can look for the job of Copyeditor and Proofreader. It has the freedom to work alone and if you like reading and have an eye to find mistakes then you can do very well in this job.
What are the works and responsibilities, qualifications, skills required, and career prospects I am going to share here in this blog?
What Copyediting and Proofreading job entails?
As a copy-editor or proofreader one needs to correct written materials and ensure that after going through the process of copyediting and proofreading the document/content contains style and consistency, completeness, and is well written, with no grammatical mistakes and completely error-free. Once clear from the desk, the content/ document is ready for publication. Copyediting and Proofreading are done for articles, books, manuscripts, magazines, newspapers, research, and other electronic writings.
In this process of Copyediting and Proofreading, one requires to check spelling mistakes, ensure consistency and style and rewrite content wherever it is required. It’s always preferable to do both services together, instead of having one person doing copyediting and another proofreading.
Where to find Jobs for Copyediting and Proofreading?
Most publishing houses, business, and corporate houses hire copyeditors and proofreaders. But one can work as a freelancer also and open own service line too and become an independent agency.
Copyeditor and Proofreader: Main Responsibilities
Whether you work in-house or as a freelancer the responsibilities remain more or less the same. It includes:
- Remove grammatical errors and correct spelling mistakes
- Ensuring consistency and style.
- Editing and sub-editing text written by authors to ensure and adopt a consistent style.
- Working both manually and with the computer.
- Contacting and liaising and do discussions, phone calls, and contact through email.
- publishing systems and databases, as well as via the internet or from paper manuscripts
- liaising regularly with authors and publishers by phone and email
- Preparing stylesheet checklist to ensure hyphenation, formatting, capitalization, and consistency for copyediting and proofreading
- Responding to authors’ and clients’ queries and resolve issues related to content and styles.
- Prepare formats and layouts for proofreading, check titles, subheadings, references, etc.
- Checking images, photos, tables of content, and other illustrations.
- Images figures properly captioned, the source mentioned, etc.
- Restructuring new words and phrases and maintain awareness.
- Indexing, typesetters, designing the layout.
Copyeditor and Proofreaders Working hours
Working for the publishing house and other corporate houses have a normal fixed 6-8 hours schedule, but it varies from house to house. To meet deadlines, one may need to work an extra few hours sometime.
If one works as a freelancer, they enjoy their freedom and work at flexible hours but deadlines have to maintain for clients.
Qualifications required for becoming Copyeditor and Proofreader.
- Preferably Graduate in Language or any other.
- Better chance if have knowledge in media or electronic media publishing or publishing studies.
- A relevant post-graduate degree in Publishing will have better opportunities.
- A freelancer can have many supporting degrees
- Good thorough knowledge of the English language or the language required by the publishing house.
- Good Attention span, concentration, accuracy, and great attention to detail
- Ability to do multitasking.
- Negotiation skills to deal with clients.
- Ability to maintain tight deadlines
- Good IT skills
- Methodical work style
Work Experience will be always preferable but as a fresher one can always apply and gain experience.
Starting as a basic editor and proofreader and moving to become a senior editor and then Editor.
Editors are highly paid.
As a freelance copy-editors and proofreader, one can take up a career with a focus on a preferred area of work in which one can work on a particular preferred subject area, such as science, medicine, or food writing if you are not willing to work on only English language area.
Salary and Earnings
Salary varies from country to country and every publishing house has certain packages.
As a freelancer one can charge per page, 1000 words, or as you want to be.
This a complete job description and details of how to become a copyeditor and proofreader and the qualifications, skills, and work details required to become one. Any career requires updating skills from time to time but for now, these are the basic requirements needed.
So, if you are interested and you have the necessary qualification and skills take it as a career.